October 24, 2007

The Appetite Gestapo

Hunger is amazing. Food tastes infinitely better when one's body is convinced that it's starving itself. Last night, at around 1:30am, I bit into a stale tortilla chip buried under a mound of guacamole from Whole Foods and, for a brief moment, I thought I'd never be able to open my eyes. It was that good.
Last night, I decided to make Trader Joe's Mac n Cheese for lunch today. I've been trying to gradually bring food from home in order to save money and be able to get more work done at the office. Hence, the pot of rice mentioned from a few posts ago. To the mac n' cheese, I added some Thai chili garlic sauce for additional flavor and tuna for protein. It smelled pretty good last night. I couldn't taste it because I was being dutiful. This was before the chips. I had spent yesterday intermittently reading about Mahatma Gandhi, his life, his principles, and his fasting rituals as a self-purification process. I was inspired and had resolve.
Enter the appetite gestapo (Hyuncher). The appetite gestapo was suspicious upon hearing that I had made something that had cheese in its name. Interesting to note that the appetite gestapo was the one who entered my contemplative nest with chips and guacamole. Her first grand entrance consisted of sauntering in with a near empty beer bottle in hand. Burp. "I'm over law school." Let me remind the club that the appetite gestapo signed on to this diet and is a card carrying member to this enterprise.

Hmmm. This process has been a luxury. It's fun trying to make each other falter. A collective whine is more sonorous than one person whining. When a group gives up and flaps its arms and throws a tantrum in unison, human flight is possible. When a single person does it, he or she looks moronic. I will admit it is more fun being hungry and talking about how exactly we would fulfill our want and desires with food. Food is so tangible and readily available in America. God bless this country.

So I started eating the mac n' cheese today and I couldn't stop thinking about cat food. I guess I wasn't hungry enough. So I rushed outside and got a bento box with tokyo fried chicken with teriyaki sauce, a sushi roll, and shrimp tempura. It was called a tokyo fried chicken combo deluxe. I'm beginning to realize that I deal with temptation by yielding to it.

Ever since I've been on this smoothie for dinner diet, which, by the way is not as dramatic or extreme as I like painting it, I feel that I've made great strides as a person. In some cases, my curiosity has had me feeling as though I'm conducting experiments with my mind. I become overly analytical and I start mapping temptation habits under an ethical system that's slowly taking shape. I'm starting to view desire, acting on desire, and guilt differently. I'll save these observations for another post.

For now, let's just say that yesterday I touched Gandhi's Sari for inspiration and was left with guacamole on my chin and chip crumbs on my lap. Today, I'm employing a different strategy. I will attack appetite with bound feet. Join me.

No comments: