January 11, 2008

An Amazing Thing Happened . . .


On the way to work this morning, Croptop and I walked by the new public pay toilet at Madison Square Park. From a design and function point of view, I think it is way too technical.

There are too many parts and too many instructions for what should be a simple task.

There are three lights outside the structure and an elevator type door. The thing disinfects itself after every use. And from further research, I learned that one quarter gets you fifteen minutes.

That’s way too long for one toilet. There should be a doorbell to get people to hurry up. Also, 15 minutes is enough time for two rockstars (crackheads) and a square (I-banker from credit Suisse) to go in there and have a little party.

The man inside came out to both of us standing there with expectant looks on our faces. There was also a man with a camera taking pictures, and a man in a van with a laptop in charge of maintaining the toilet. Croptop asked him how it was and the patron said, “Eh, it was, it was cold.”

As I peeked my head in as the door was sliding shut (lawsuit potential), I saw the toilet start to retract into the wall. I was about to take a quick sniff to gauge how sanitary it was but remembered that the red light had been on for a long time.

Croptop wanted to put in a quarter and check it out with me. But I was late to work and I refuse to fall for that trick again.

No comments: